IoT, Blockchain and Solar - Midterm

After countless days and hours of debugging, two bricked/one broken SD cards and a final kernel panic when running a simple python sketch it is time to take a little break and resume. So let's have a look where I was a week ago with my project - at that time everything was running fine, the Pi was accessing the blockchain and the servo reacting to changes in my account. All of that streamed in real time. At that time with two laptops:

So far so good: listening to changes in the chain and the servo re-action happened battery powered on the Pi Zero W, the streaming was done with webcams and laptops, the server part plus frontend ran on my Amazon Instance. 

My next step was to try to run the Pi-part with solar power. It worked as expected with a 5V booster and a Li-Po between Pi and solar panel. Then I tried to run the main local part (camera stream and querying blockchain) with battery (a pre-step before using solar exclusively) - after a few days of debugging and hacking web-rtc for streaming live from the pi via my server this worked as well (with a great lag due to the slow network). Great!

Motivated by this success I tried it with solar power on a sunny day - from an energy perspective a success, not so much from a computational one. My streaming code and/or Pi image started to behave strange - it had a bug. And here I probably made a few too optimistic assumptions about the energy provided by the small solar panels, running the Pi at full CPU usage requires more amps than expected. And more than the panels can provide. It should take me a few days to fully realize this - and (spoiler alert!) finally delay the final project vastly.

But at that time I was optimistic to solve this issue in the next days (I assumed it is a code issue, not an energy one) and started working on the enclosure for my project.

IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG
IMG_2478.JPG

After running the separate codes on the py I started to see a mysterious "Bus error" - which seemed to indicate corrupt SD cards, a common issue on the Pi. I re-imaged different cards a few times  - just to run again into the same IO-Bus error. I was still optimistic to solve this - I knew that the code worked a week before on the Pi (at that time with a steady battery supply) - why should it not work anymore now? I hadn't changed a single line as far as I could remember. 

I spent 3 days in a row trying 2 new SD cards (which are completely unusable now), broke one other SD card, tried numerous debugging strategies - only to run into a kernel panic after a fresh install of Raspbian during a very late night session. 

IMG_2476.JPG

That was the point where I had to laugh out loud - too many things went wrong before and this appeared just absurd. I realized that I could not solve this quickly - but that I had done as much as I can to solve it. It was indeed disappointing to work this hard on a project only to see that nothing work=ed anymore at the end of the week. I basically started on the top and ended up at the bottom. After another day of debugging and presenting my progress in class more and more clues popped up that this might not be a software/code issue, but related to the power supply - in my case the LiPo/Solar setup. I finally stumbled upon this forum post:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 11.56.18 PM.png

I realized that I probably need more Amps to power my application - meaning a LiPo that is more powerful. The solar panel should be fine, if exposed to direct sunlight as much as possible. In a real life installation outdoors the conditions (temperature) would affect the battery life as well, for this project I assumed indoor use. 

So far in this project I learned a lot: Solar works, computation powered by it on a Pi works as well, the sleep/wake up external circuit is simply great - but better stack a few more Amps into the circuit when running computational intense operations on a Pi.

IMG_2474.JPG
IMG_2477.JPG