KINETIC CHALLENGE: The Energy - Hammock

We finished our prototype for the kinetic challenge assignment on Saturday - and it worked! (apart from some minor engineering challenges that are beyond the scope of the task).

A lot of fabrication was needed as we built the gears and belts by ourselves:

 The sheep ... meaning our foundational structure to hold gears, belts and the stepper motor. 

The sheep ... meaning our foundational structure to hold gears, belts and the stepper motor. 

 We used nails (in our first iteration) instead of cutting the gears with the cnc-router.

We used nails (in our first iteration) instead of cutting the gears with the cnc-router.

 Nails to keep the belt drive in-line.

Nails to keep the belt drive in-line.

 Measuring by eye the accuracy of the wheel drive - a tiny bit off but tolerable for a prototype.

Measuring by eye the accuracy of the wheel drive - a tiny bit off but tolerable for a prototype.

 Basic setup, rear view with circuit and motor attached.

Basic setup, rear view with circuit and motor attached.

 Our circuit (without capacitors) with full bridge rectifier built of 4 diodes.

Our circuit (without capacitors) with full bridge rectifier built of 4 diodes.

 The stepper motor with the second wheel attached to it.

The stepper motor with the second wheel attached to it.

 The self-made belt drive translating the power of the big wheel (that is connected with a rod to the swinging hammock).

The self-made belt drive translating the power of the big wheel (that is connected with a rod to the swinging hammock).

Prototype

And here the final prototype in action on the ITP floor. It is providing up to 9V at 150-200 mA.