Thesis Week 2: Iteration, Experiments

After a lot of tinkering I finally found a working architecture for my image classifier (still just on flowers, should be fluxus performances frames soon) using densenet and a lightweight one layer as new classifier:

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 1.51.34 PM.png

The accuracy on a test -dataset is now around 75%:

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 1.45.51 PM.png

While doing this I iterated a lot on traditional catholic holy water fonts, as I wanted to look at spiritual rituals/actions that have been used in traditional religions (I used Catholicism as I grew up with it) and try to rethink their design. I wanted to incorporate the hand movement towards an object that is in the focus of attention (here either cubes or a golden sphere:

ring_cubes2.png
glass_ring_1.png

Some experiments did not work that well and just look strange:

weird_yucca.png

Others had something but need a lot more iteration:

ring_marble1.png
rubber_ring1_0001.png

As I mentioned earlier in my blogposts that I somehow want to use honey in the installation (as a symbol of healing) I started experimenting with the real flow plugin for c4d to get photorealistic renderings of liquids. Unfortunately the renderfarm I used for my usual renderings doesn’t support the plugin and I have to render locally on my mac (which is very very slow - one frame takes a day to render). Anyway, here a little test for honey simulation:

golde_honey_sphere.png

I thought about a design object that consists of a digital and physical layer, combining them in an optical illusion: the golden sphere gets inserted in the object, then gets displayed on the screen, seemingly “floating” through the honey. Ideally the user has the feeling this happens to the real sphere:

IMG_0259.png